Followers

Monday 3 October 2011

Edward Sharp & Sons Vintage Toffee Tins









I love garage sales and I rarely ever get to go.  Apparently I have too much crap now, so why add to it.  I have purged my house of many things I do not need.  I have a weakness for tins,  or wooden boxes, or glass well you get the picture.  I have a few other things I like collecting I'll blog about that another day.  On Saturday when I snuck out to go to a few garage sales in the countryside around my home I came across a large one that was raising money for the wetlands nearby.  I like fundraising garage sales because they have a lot of stuff and they do not ask crazy prices.  At this garage sale there was A LOT of glass ware.  Many of the boxes had gotten wet and so did many of the items at the sale. I wasn't really finding anything I was interested in. Just as I was heading back to my Jeep I found a few tins that were in pretty good shape.  I avoided the newer looking ones which led me to these two toffe tins from and english confectionary that use to satisfy the late King George the VI sweet tooth.  I like them, so I really don't think I will try to sell them, but I like to find out about the things I have, it is part of the fun of having them.  What is the best thing to do when you have found something you want information on???  GOOGLE IT!!!  I found the Edward Sharp & Sons information, but most of the tins were in england. (Go figure) and none of them looked like mine. I figure the small tin with Grigg Farm Headcorn Kent on it might be worth $20 to $30..  The other tin is so much nicer I would really like info on it.  I have found the exact same tin without the lid with many more scratches on it and the person is asking $35 I think.  Mine is in better condition and it has all the pieces.  On the Ebay item like mine it had this line "A very old antique toffee tin. Marked ' Made in England by Edward Sharp & Sons LTD. of Maidstone, Kent. .... The Curtiss Candy Company was founded in 1916 by Otto Schnering. "  So now you know what I know about it.  If you know more and would like to comment I would appreciate it.  Oh and if you are really curious to know... in the comments guess how much I paid for them both

1 comment:

  1. I actually found an ad with the Griggs farm tin in an islamic review. When I figure out how to save it here I will.

    ReplyDelete